Kudos to Mr. Ponmudi

One of the biggest criticism of the previous ADMK Government was that it gave a free hand to private colleges to come up with its own admission criteria. Most colleges were using money as the sole criteria for admissions. Also many colleges declared themselves as deemed universities (which means they no longer come under the purview of AICTE and thereby escape from the strict scrutiny that they come under) and paid scant regard for the quality of education that was provided. The recent clashed between students and college managements are SRM, and Sathyabama are pointers to this.

A few days back, Higher Education Minister Mr. Ponmudi came up with a proposal which would require private colleges in Tamil Nadu to reserve about 70% of seats under the Government quota and the rest 30% under the management quota. This according to me is a good attempt by the Minister to bring back some quality back into our education system. The Government should also require private colleges in Tamil Nadu to come under the purview of the AICTE. This will ensure some sort of standard is in place at these universities.

Advertisements

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: